Wednesday, April 12, 2017

THE LAST WORDS OF THE SAVIOUR ON THE CROSS

As recorded in The Bible, the following were the Last Words spoken by Jesus as He endured the gruesome hours at Golgotha:
1.      Father forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).
2.      Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43).
3.      Woman, behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26-27).
4.      Eli Eli lama sabachthani? ("My God, My God, why have you forsaken     
       me?”)  (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).
5.      I thirst (John 19:28).
6.      It is finished (John 19:30)
7.      Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46).
At the time of this special Easter Season, it may be a good time to contemplate these words. It may well be that we have taken these momentous words with apathy over time, not really recognising that they have deeper meanings and have tremendous impact from the moment they were spoken up to this moment!

I dare say that the very first one for example negates the popular belief about the significance of the crucifixion. However, these words point to the real Mission of Christ, His suffering in the hands of ungrateful men and the way that leads to salvation.

No comments: